2 min reading | Shared situational awareness in emergency response centers with the use of Enify
Standardizing task execution in an operations center
1 min reading | Enify as an application for work standardization in an operations center
Some of the more interesting operations center projects we have been involved with have involved the standardization of work activities occurring within the center.
In one project, the main goal is to have an onshore support center focused on monitoring and analyzing well activity on a 24/7 basis. In this center there are three different shifts and each workstation within the center must monitor three facilities apiece. Each workstation has access to three monitors and an 80" screen on the wall; each containing an array different information from different applications. The personnel in the room have different backgrounds and they are assigned responsibilities based on which workstation they are currently sitting in front of. We call these self-contained, modular workstations, PODs. If an incident occurs, they are expected to support the POD requiring assistance regardless of the facility they normally support. This is a pretty common scenario in many real-time monitoring centers.
In order to achieve optimal operations, whilst maintaining good utilization of personnel across shifts and PODs, it is important to know that tasks are being performed in a consistent and standardized manner.
- Knowing which applications and information is needed
- Standardizing the way these applications are used
- Being able to easily switch between different facilities and context 4. Being able to “jump in” and help others without too much disruption
The center chose Enify and established it up as a tool for standardizing their core work activities in each POD. In addition to using it physically within the operations center, they have tested Enify’s use in performing their tasks from home; a much simpler environment. The team that has set this up has done a fantastic job of structuring their work by:
- Standardized way of retrieving information for each POD This is done by defining the information requirement per well and adding pointers to this in Enify; users can then use Enify to retrieve information from any facility, not just their own.
- Created user-preferred layouts where they combine information from different wells they want to see side by side. These can be tweaked to work better in less immersive environments like you find at home. These layout capabilities have let the users explore new combinations and ways of looking at information that can be shared across the team. The user can do this themselves without needing any IT or AV support.
- In addition, the center has some common areas called “focus rooms” that have a similar setup as a POD. Such rooms can be used for incident management or act as backup PODs. Instead of moving hardware from one place to another, you just move where you open the information. Enify lets you do this regardless of location; on any POD, focus area or even at home.
- Standardized the way information is retrieved and presented ensures that work is done consistently– this ensures quality of work and saves time
- Rapid provision of the right information provides confidence in the delivery of work in time-critical situations
- Pushing the right information within specialist applications to the user ensures effective use of all required data at the key decision points
- Availability in the home office and other sites allows for good resource utilization regardless of location